2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
1 bag of hard candy
1. combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
2. In large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar 1 minute or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Add egg and vanilla; beat until well mixed.
3. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in flour mixture just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl.
4.divide into 3 pieces. Flatten each piece into a disk; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight, until firm enough to roll.
5. While dough is chilling, place each color hard candy in separate heavy-duty plastic bag. Place 1 bag on towel-covered work surface or floor. With meat mallet or rolling pin, lightly crush candy into small pieces about the size of coarsely chopped nuts, being careful not to crush until powdery. Repeat with remaining candy.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line large cookie sheet with baking map. Roll 1 disk of dough 1/8 inch thick and use cookie cutters to cut out as many cookies as possible.
7. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet. Cut out centers of cookies with smaller cookie cutters. fill each cookie's center with 1/2 teaspoon crushed candy.
8. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from oven. Cool cookies on cookie sheet on wire rack. With metal spatula, remove cookies.
9. Store cookies in tightly sealed container at room temperature up to 2 weeks or in freezer up to 3 months.