Friday, July 1, 2011
Happy Canada Day!! (Beaver Tail)
它取名为beaver tail，因为它的样子就像beaver的尾巴一样。。这里卖的beaver tail有很多不同的口味，但我们一直都只吃original 的cinammon sugar，最近才知道原来有加柠檬的原味更加好吃，有加柠檬的取名加Sunrise。。
我一直都很好奇beaver tail是怎么弄的，就google一下食谱，看到食谱后就想试一试。。其实应该和doughnut食谱还有一点像，只是造型不一样吧。。 我做的那一次，做了8片，4片是当天吃，另外4片是隔天才炸来吃。。发好的面团分成8份，把其中的4份放在ziplop放在冰箱，隔天要吃之前的一个小时从冰箱那出来，让它回复室温，再整形，才炸来吃。。
1/4 cup hot tap water
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 package quick rise yeast (.25 oz.)
1 teaspoon salt
2-2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
any light colored oil for frying
1. In large bowl pour in hot water and 1 teaspoon of the measured sugar. Sprinkle yeast over top and stir. Set aside to proof, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in microwave safe bowl, heat milk, butter and remaining sugar to melt butter and dissolve sugar. Stir to cool--you want it to be a little warmer than room temperature, but not scalding to kill the yeast.
3. Pour butter liquid into yeast mixture and stir. Whisk in egg and salt. Stir in flour using 1/2 cup increments until it forms a dough. Knead dough 2-3 minutes until a slightly sticky dough has formed, adding more flour when necessary.
4. Place dough into bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Store in a draft free, warm spot in your kitchen for an hour or so to let dough rise. Punch dough down and cut into 8 equal pieces.
5. Preheat oil in medium heat on the stove top. Roll dough out to be long ovals that are 1/4-1/8 inch thick.Cut a slit in the middle to cook the dough evenly.Carefully place in hot oil and fry 20-30 seconds per side.
6. Once beaver tail has finished cooking remove from oil and hold the beaver tail over the pan to let the excess oil drip off of it. Then immediately coat in cinnamon sugar--a classic combination for a beaver tail. You could also place on paper towels and then spread on nutella as well. Another favorite way to eat a beaver tail is coating it in sugar and then adding a little lemon juice. Be sure to serve these warm and fresh!